Watch my latest Video  

[Sticky] Standards for Research Proposal  

RSS
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin

I propose that there is a process that all potential investments go through, in order to get vetted and then finally in line to be voted upon. There needs to be some orderly process that the Juntocoin Club must prescribe, so that we can organize ourselves and be efficient. Here's my idea

1. Establish a Kanban ticketing process for processing candidate investments
   2. Every candidate coin/token/company gets a ticket with a checklist
   3. Anyone can work on the the ticket, just make sure to update it
   4. After a ticket is sufficiently complete, we vote on it

Here is a proposed ticket structure or a checklist of things we need to validate before moving to a vote

1. Gather Info

• CoinMarketcap - size, supply/float, exchanges, performance, volume, liquidity
  • Website - look for team, advisors, investors, partners, roadmap
  • White paper - put aside for later
  • Social presence - slack, reddit, medium, Steemit, discorse, telegram, discord

2. Categorize and Assess

• What kind of coin is it, category
  • Is it a utility or equity coin/token
  • Does it have a clearly defined, easily understood purpose - elevator pitch
  • What problem does it solve, scale of problem, underserved, vital
  • White paper…is it marketing, credible, are you qualified to assess it
  • Vet team developers, founders, advisors, investors - coin allocation

3. How does the coin work

• Consensus mechanism
  • Centralized-decentralized
  • Is there a working biz, or a working reference implementation
  • Financials - money raised, burn rate, future plans

4. Market Assessment

• Is there demand for this coin
  • Is the demand growing
  • Is the coin unique in some way
  • Are there competing coins, how do they stack up
  • What is their IP - patents, trademarks, ownership
  • Regionality - worldwide, US, legalities

5. Financial Assessment

• Where's the main source of funding
  • Are there sufficient funds to execute the biz plan
  • Are they currently profitable...no, then when
  • What are the 1, 3 and 5 year projections
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 10:33 pm waihibeachbuilding@gmail.com, David Shepherd, jimpanacea and 4 people liked
Stephen Berry
(@swb)
Eminent Member

This is a great idea. I will add to that that there are other activities that need to be handled in addition to picking the coins:

• what percentage of silver/cash/crypto are we holding?
  • what is our strategy? IOW how do we manage the fund?
  • do we need volunteer members to help @admin with Treasury, reporting, membership, marketing, website updating etc (any other tasks that could overwhelm one person)
  • what is our start criteria? 
  • are there any legal issues we have to deal with? 
  • tax consequences? 

As for investment processes, from an upper level, I suggest that we have one person (with a backup) collect tokens/coins suggested by members and he/she distributes them to the research groups. The coin collector can manage assigning interested researchers to groups to help balance them out and give them a coin to research. I think relying on people to load share might be asking too much (but hey we can try it). 

Once we have a step by step research guide, each group can meet in their own subforum to work together to research the coin and come to a conclusion. We should set some best practices here, my initial suggestion is to have a sticky post at the top of each forum that shows the results of the research so when we do the polling all the members have only the top post to read. I would also suggest that we keep all of the research around forever so that we can come back and review the research if the coin should perform differently than we expect.

After we decide on a coin, then we need to decide how much of it to buy. This is a question that has to be answered in the overall context of how much risk are we willing to take on with the mix of coins. Every time I start thinking like this I wonder if it makes any sense since all of these coins are inherently risky. 

So Ernie is right, first, we need to create a document that guides our research activities, and then break into groups to look at these coins. 

Sorry for the length!

You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 11:49 pm jimpanacea, Manuel, leapmind and 1 people liked
Stephen Berry
(@swb)
Eminent Member

This is a good list! How do you prevent people from working on the same item at the same time?

- there is something wrong with bulleting, I see a bullet and a dash in the lists.

You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 11:54 pm jimpanacea liked
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin

I am going to implement an agile process called Kanban. I'm working on a tool that will provide collaborative project management, to vet investment targets by attaching a ticket to them that will essentially contain all the items of the list. Then the investable item will be ushered through the kanban process and ultimately be voted up or down for inclusion into the club portfolio.

Check out this proposal for the Kanban (ticketing( process 

I will need to work on the CSS style sheets to fix the bullet issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2018 1:02 am jimpanacea and Manuel liked
FranzAudio
(@franzaudio)

I would add the following among the ticket fields:

• GitHub repository and activity (number and frequency of commits, active team members, active projects, etc.)
    • this is a valid indicator to understand if the project is actually being developed consistently and by how many devs in relation to its scope, thus complying to the roadmap.
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 29, 2018 4:51 pm
FranzAudio
(@franzaudio)

Sorry for the double post but I wasn't able to find the option to edit the previous one.

I would like to submit this website to the forum Coincheckup as it displays a lot of the informations needed to research coins, evaluations, etc.

I guess it might be even possible to extract data from it with simple API queries, might be a good way to save some time on gathering raw numbers.

On another note I think that one category that should be included in the research is "Red flags" as to say any information (social media comments, videos, blogs, documents) that raise doubt, inconsistencies, contradictions, bad practices in any crypto or ICOs the team analyse. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2018 1:20 pm
Trent
(@trent)

Thanks for laying the groundwork for research standards. I would like to propose a "Step 0" for submitting candidate investments that would standardize the process and provide a minimal barrier to entry. For submitting an exchange coin candidate investment, a member would fill out the following form in addition to the Kanban ticket.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeo_jYPMcoXfs7xWgnRhlG1NiIxRvKxQ3Ufu6o_A4l8ICIFeg/viewform

The input from this goes to a spreadsheet of responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CYBeZwERUEu5wtyxQLLYKP4lvM3Qnnni9UZ6JKbBr64/edit#gid=502363780

This data is then referenced from another spreadsheet that uses the coinmarketcap URL to bring in current market info via the API and exchange info via XML.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lhG1IfAMAqG3RH3iiVMvYsqi-z7iR0BlIV4n7dAPaaY/edit#gid=0

This will provide current info for the next step in the vetting process (whenever that happens).

Please let me know what you think. If people think this is a reasonable way to get started, I can put together a quick tutorial video and work on next steps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 12, 2018 8:38 am waihibeachbuilding@gmail.com liked
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
Posted by: Trent

Thanks for laying the groundwork for research standards. I would like to propose a "Step 0" for submitting candidate investments that would standardize the process and provide a minimal barrier to entry. For submitting an exchange coin candidate investment, a member would fill out the following form in addition to the Kanban ticket.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeo_jYPMcoXfs7xWgnRhlG1NiIxRvKxQ3Ufu6o_A4l8ICIFeg/viewform

The input from this goes to a spreadsheet of responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CYBeZwERUEu5wtyxQLLYKP4lvM3Qnnni9UZ6JKbBr64/edit#gid=502363780

This data is then referenced from another spreadsheet that uses the coinmarketcap URL to bring in current market info via the API and exchange info via XML.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lhG1IfAMAqG3RH3iiVMvYsqi-z7iR0BlIV4n7dAPaaY/edit#gid=0

This will provide current info for the next step in the vetting process (whenever that happens).

Please let me know what you think. If people think this is a reasonable way to get started, I can put together a quick tutorial video and work on next steps.

I like this because of it's open nature and it can be collaborated on. By the way, how does that work in terms of access. How do we prevent it from being compromised by non-permissioned persons?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2018 5:57 am
Trent
(@trent)

This is all done through Google Drive and uses their sharing capabilities:

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

I currently have everything set to:

• On - Anyone with the link: Anyone who has the link can use your file, without signing in to their Google Account.

This means it won't be searchable or public, but anyone with the link can access it. As it stands, that means anyone with access to this forum - which I think is public - can fill out the form and access the spreadsheets (we can duplicate the files to get new URLs if necessary). While the spreadsheets are accessible with the link, they are currently "view only" and therefore not editable. I was thinking the Kanban team could have editing privileges to move the ticket along.

If we wanted to restrict access to the form, we could send a direct message with the form link after they fill out a new ticket for a candidate investment. If we wanted to restrict access to the collected data, we could either restrict public access to the forums or restrict member access to the link. I'm also open to any other suggestions!

Overall though, I think the forms could provide a straightforward way for people to pick up a task and move the ticket along without feeling overwhelmed. The next form in the process, for example, could focus more on market assessment. And so on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2018 8:45 am waihibeachbuilding@gmail.com liked
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin

I like it, thank you!

I'm limping along with further updates to the site until the server migration is complete. I want to make sure the performance is up to snuff, then I will start organizing the Kanban team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 13, 2018 1:35 pm
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register