Watch my latest Video  

How to Do Initial Research of a CryptoCoin  

RSS
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 3:35 pm ljm81@outlook.com, Ian. J., Carlos Melendez and 2 people liked
Carlos Melendez
(@cmbruce633gmail-com)

This was a good post and informative I do the same research when I have time.  Most of these coins and tokens are just junk. You could lose money investing in a lot of them Bitconnect is just the beginning. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 8:40 pm
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin

1. Gather Info

• CoinMarketcap - size, supply/float, exchanges, performance, volume, liquidity
  • Website - look for team, advisors, investors, partners, roadmap
  • White paper - put aside for later
  • Social presence - slack, reddit, medium, Steemit, discorse, telegram, discord

2. Categorize and Assess

• What kind of coin is it, category
  • Is it a utility or equity coin/token
  • Does it have a clearly defined, easily understood purpose - elevator pitch
  • What problem does it solve, scale of problem, underserved, vital
  • White paper…is it marketing, credible, are you qualified to assess it
  • Vet team developers, founders, advisors, investors - coin allocation

3. How does the coin work

• Consensus mechanism
  • Centralized-decentralized
  • Is there a working biz, or a working reference implementation
  • Financials - money raised, burn rate, future plans

4. Market Assessment

• Is there demand for this coin
  • Is the demand growing
  • Is the coin unique in some way
  • Are there competing coins, how do they stack up
  • What is their IP - patents, trademarks, ownership
  • Regionality - worldwide, US, legalities

5. Financial Assessment

• Where's the main source of funding
  • Are there sufficient funds to execute the biz plan
  • Are they currently profitable...no, then when
  • What are the 1, 3 and 5 year projections
Edited: 3 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 9:37 pm DARRIN PINARD and Carlos Melendez liked
Ian. J.
(@ian-j)

I've printed this out, this will be my checklist when looking into different coins. Learning alot from you.

Thx Ernie!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2018 4:18 am
Stephen Berry
(@swb)
Eminent Member

I think if we were to put BitCoin through this process it would pass - should we add something that specifically looks for the coins drawbacks?

• how high are the fees?
  • does/can it scale?
  • how fast are the transactions or settling time?
  • what is the allocation of coins?
  • anything else?

I've attached a screenshot of selfkey.org's token distribution, partially because I want to see what it looks like in the forum, and partially because I liked the disclosure.

selfkey

You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2018 10:04 am Manuel, DARRIN PINARD and ljm81@outlook.com liked
b.samson
(@bekele-samsongmail-com)

Great primer posts for research. Here are a couple of resources I use to dig in:

https://www.coingecko.com/  

https://onchainfx.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2018 1:22 pm
b.samson
(@bekele-samsongmail-com)

Hmm Stephen: It appears you did some research on SELF KEY a recent ICO. So did I. Did you pull the trigger?

Projects also considered are Bluzelle - data storage for Enterprises and Globitex (GBX).

Globitex intends to create a futures trading platform. Derivatives planned to trade on the platform include commodities including gold & silver  and Bitcoin. This may be where the store value of BTC pegged with the rest. Strong, well connected team, low token distribution and built on existing platform. Check it out!

In a previous post, I suggested we ought to consider allocating 3-5% of total Junto Portfolio to ICO's . Any thoughts??

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 20, 2018 1:39 pm
Stephen Berry
(@swb)
Eminent Member

I bought a minimal amount of self key, partially as an experiment since there are so many transfers involved and I'm not comfortable with the process yet. I was able to store KEY into my ledger nano, which I was happy about! I was definitely impressed with the tech, team, and even more so that they already are using it now in several of their markets. 

I'm wondering if we shouldn't consider different allocations in separate "funds" so people can choose their own risk level. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2018 8:41 am
admin
(@admin)
Member Admin
Posted by: Stephen Berry

I bought a minimal amount of self key, partially as an experiment since there are so many transfers involved and I'm not comfortable with the process yet. I was able to store KEY into my ledger nano, which I was happy about! I was definitely impressed with the tech, team, and even more so that they already are using it now in several of their markets. 

I'm wondering if we shouldn't consider different allocations in separate "funds" so people can choose their own risk level. 

I am in the process of integrating a new tool that will implement the kanban process methodology. It will be used to organize members' suggestions and research, and move along the process towards membership adoption for the portfolio.

Kanban will take a little education of the membership, but I believe everyone will get it almost right away, and it will go a long way to making this service truly useful.

The first step in the Kanban process is building a backlog of things to evaluate and work on; from coins, to strategies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2018 11:05 am DARRIN PINARD and Stephen Berry liked
ljm81@outlook.com
(@ljm81outlook-com)

Excellent check list, all should follow these rules

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2018 2:24 pm
Stephen Berry
(@swb)
Eminent Member

@admin I'm looking forward to the implementation. It looks like Kanban is a lean manufacturing technology (JIT) process. That should apply here pretty well with the research of coins. I'm curious about what you come up with!

Off topic slightly, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations on how to use the various graphing tools to analyze stock trends. Tradingview has some powerful features that I really don't know how to use. 

Are there any books, online web papers, training for stock prediction? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Working

Please Login or Register